Intellectual Property Corporation of Malaysia (MyIPO)
Perbadanan Harta Intelek
Unit 1-7, Ground Floor,
Menara UOA Bangsar,
No.5 Jalan Bangsar Utama 1,
59000 Kuala Lumpur
The Intellectual Property Division in Malaysia has functions to act as agent of the Government and to provide services in administering, collecting and enforcing payment of prescribed fees or any other charges under the Intellectual Property Legislation. It also safeguard the interest of Malaysia in respect of any agreement or international convention to which Malaysia is a party.
The division is responsible to establish a strong legal and effective administrators, to promote public awareness programs on the importance of intellectual property as well as to provide advisory services on intellectual property.
Malaysian trademark information:
A Malaysian application doesn't provide protection abroad but it can be used as a basis for claiming priority in countries which are party to the Paris Convention and WHO.
- Trade marks registration is valid for ten years from the date of application and may be renewed every ten years.
- After trademark is accepted and advertised in the Government Gazette. If there is no opposition, the mark will be registered and a Registration Certificate will be issued.
- Certificate of Registration will be issued within 2 months after the expiration of the gazette period.
- Certificate of Renewal will be issued within 1 month from the date of application for renewal.
- Search and examination report as to the registrability of the mark will be issued after 7 months from the date of application and not later than 12 months.